The Adventures of Gimpy Girl

A journal of the trials and triumphs of another trip to unexplored territory.

Monday, March 28, 2005

too late!

Yesterday I learned a valuable lesson about travel. Always leave twice as much time to get where I am going as I think I might need. When I started out for the airport four hours before my flight I thought that would be enough time. But I should know that when I get to the station I can't just hop on the next train. I have to wait until they come out with the ramp. When I got to Kyoto station I attempted to get a pass that would cost about a third of the price to get to the airport, but after I was told to go to different ticket offices repeatedly (Kyoto station has about a zillion JR ticket offices) and wait in lines, we stood in the last line and watched as the clock ticked by until it was evident that we weren't going to catch the train we wanted. Once we were on the platform the attendents could not help us and Donald ended up being handed a ramp to use himself. We felt really put off by this and I was especially concerned that a solo traveler would be screwed. But Donald dealt with it and we got on the train. When we got the ETA from the conductor I knew that only a miracle would get me on that plane. We got off the train pretty efficiently and made it to the terminal, but no swiftness was going to save us now. The United coordinator actually tried pretty hard to get me on the flight but with a scooter to deal with it just wasn't happening. She generously booked me on the same flight the next day without charging me anything extra. We headed back (I had no problem getting the elusive Kansai regional pass here) and phoned another friend who happpened to have just arrived in Kyoto and went to have okinokiyaki at this great restaurant down the street from Donald's house.

So one more meal and today an early start to the airport. Yesterday was my dress rehearsal. Today I do my solo performance!

lastday.JPG
Back in Kyoto

lastday.JPG
yummm... okinokiyaki!

lastday.JPG
lastday.JPG

lastday.JPG

lastday.JPG
A Chu Hai is good anywhere in good ol' Japan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home